To stop snoring, you can choose to sleep on your side or raise your head slightly. If you are overweight, losing pounds will also improve the condition
How to stop snoring: Causes and Solutions
Snoring is a loud breathing noise that some people make when they sleep, because of the resistance to airflow in the upper airways. This resistance is produced by the shock between the different structures of this zone: soft palate, uvula, tongue, etc., for different reasons.
The main causes of a person’s snoring are:
- Overweight, due to pressure from the airway while lying down.
- Ingestion of alcohol and sedatives, especially in the hours before sleep.
- Obstruction of the respiratory tract, either temporary as in the case of colds, allergies or inflammation of the tonsils, or permanent alterations of the nasal septum, the presence of nasal polyps, swollen adenoids, etc.
Tips to stop snoring
There are attitudes or habits that we can change to try to stop snoring:
- Lose weight in case of obesity.
- Stop smoking.
- When you sleep, do it on your side, never on your back. Some people place an object on their back to force them to adopt the lateral position.
- Avoid hearty dinners.
- Lift the headboard slightly or use two pillows.
- Avoid the lack of sleep, that is to say, sleep the necessary hours, have fixed hours, etc.
- Staying hydrated is very important, so the mucus does not thicken and does not hinder breathing.
- Keep the room clean and ventilated, trying not to accumulate dust, tobacco smoke, etc.
- Many times, change the pillow.
- Before going to sleep, clean your nose and decongest it with saline. You can use nasal strips that keep the nostrils open during the night.
If these tips failed to make you stop snoring, you should also see a doctor if someone in your family warns you that you have sleep apnea, which means that when you snore, you stop breathing. for a few seconds because it is a more serious problem that needs to be evaluated.