First of all, I want to emphasize that we experience emotions before feelings. Emotions allow us to act in a certain way at a certain moment. Emotions and feelings work hand in hand to react, act and deal with the situation we are going through, be it a positive or negative situation.
What are the types of emotions and feelings that exist – Complete Guide
The first thing we highlight is that each person has a different way of perceiving emotions. All this will depend on the experiences lived, the character of the person and the situation they are going through. Some emotions are innate, others are learned over time.
There are six characteristic emotions, which are:
- Joy : feeling a sense of well – being and security , when we go through moments of fun. When feeling that euphoria for some news or good moment that we feel, gratification.
- Surprise : when for a moment of amazement , some event that we were not aware of, startled. It provides us with a cognitive approach to know what happens.
- Fear : we perceive it when we feel that something threatens our well-being or that of a loved one, when we perceive an eminent danger, perception of uncertainty and insecurity.
- Sadness : we feel it, when we experience a moment of loneliness , sorrow for some situation. This emotion makes us negative.
- Disgust or aversion: aversion is that feeling of rejection or disgust towards something or someone, we can also experience this emotion, when we get upset.
- Anger : moments of anger, rage, fury. When we go through a moment that produces resentment to something or someone.
Now, there are quite a few types of feelings , this will depend on the type of emotion that we persist at that moment. Emotions and feelings, although they are different and have different functions, go very hand in hand. There are various types of feelings, negative feelings, positive feelings, and neutral feelings.
- Happiness : this is a very important feeling for human life, it is one that gives us that value in a positive way to life and to those people or things in our life such as, the partner, family and work. Having this feeling is very beneficial to us, since we are more positive. This results in an increase in empathy, creativity and learning.
- Love : the definition of this feeling is that affection that we can have for a person, animal, thing or idea. It brings as a consequence, that we have a positive self-perception of the person.
- Hope : I don’t know if you’ve heard that phrase that says, “hope is the last thing you lose.” It is effectively defined as the belief of being able to achieve some objective or goal set. This feeling gives us a stimulus of motivation and energy, which helps us to be able to reach some goal or objective.
- Understanding : this is a very important feeling, it gives us mercy to a person who is going through a difficult situation. In addition to feeling pity, it motivates us to accompany that person to accompany them in that difficult moment. This feeling can be felt to anyone in our environment, without being a family member or friend.
- Humor : refers to that person, who perceives situations as funny , this is accompanied by physical expressions, such as laughter. In addition, it provides people with a great predisposition to perform a task.
- Sadness: it is a feeling that all of us have experienced at times. It is reflected in response to negative and undesirable events. When we suffer this feeling, we experience, despondency, the urge to cry, low self-esteem.
- Hostility : this can be appreciated, as a feeling that shows resentment, indignation and acrimony, which is that rudeness in the way of being, expressing or behaving. If we allow ourselves to be enveloped by this feeling, we can suffer physical or verbal violence.
- Anger : this feeling is perceived, when we feel that our rights are trampled, it gives responses of irritability . This feeling comes out when we feel that we are hurt, deceived or betrayed. This feeling blocks our chances of reaching any goal successfully.
- Hate : this feeling happens after anger, it is defined as dislike of someone or something, in addition to having that feeling that the other person has a bad time.
- Jealousy : this is something very common in relationships. It is defined as the feeling that the person you love feels love or affection for another person, also when said person feels a preference for another person.
- Fear : this type of feeling comes out when we go through situations that can put our physical integrity or someone close to us at risk . We perceive this feeling as an alarm signal that something is wrong. It can also be perceived in situations where we may lose something of value to us.
- Hopelessness : this feeling makes us feel that we are not capable of achieving, or that we do not believe that we are not capable of overcoming.
- Frustration : we go through this feeling, when we see that our expectations of something or someone are not being satisfied and the goal cannot be achieved. One of the most normal forms of the appearance of this feeling is to want to achieve something and not be able to achieve it.
- Compassion : This feeling comes out when we feel pity for another person, who is in a difficult situation or suffering. This feeling not only makes us feel pity for the other person, but we accompany them in the process.
What are emotions and feelings and what is the difference? Here the answer
As we mentioned a moment ago, emotions and feelings are different and lie in different areas, but they are very connected.
Now, I will show you the characteristics of emotions.
- They are more intense than feelings, but they last much less, emotions, we feel them when we go through a moment and that is the way we act and express ourselves.
- Emotions are transitory. They happen from one moment to another and have the ability to take us out of our normal state and lead us to action.
- They are energies that are in our body, they are always in motion, the only way to stagnate is if we repress them.
- They originate in a specific area of the brain, which are the amygdala and the ventromedial prefrontal cortices. These are responsible for creating biochemical reactions in the body , which alter our physical state.
On the other hand, these are the characteristics of feelings.
- The feelings, have a much longer duration than the emotions. These feelings will last as long as we spend time thinking about them.
- They are the interpretations that of the emotions that we have lived, from there comes the dependence one on the other and they take much longer to appear than the emotions.
- They have a milder intensity than emotions. Feelings act directly on consciousness and thoughts as they are more complex processes.
- Emotions are always before feelings, suffering a single emotion can awaken several feelings at the same time.
We can appreciate that feelings and emotions are very different , but that they act together, since one depends on the other.
How to know if I have an emotional or sentimental impulse Find out here!
I do not know if you have been through some complicated situation, where you have not thought very well to speak or act . When we let our emotional impulses run wild, without any kind of control, we can go through some risky moment.
This occurs when we go through an impulse, and we do not stop to think a bit about what happened. We do not let the reasoning work properly and we are not aware of the situation, or what we are going to do. It should be noted that not all impulses are negative, some happen in a defensive way and it helps us in case there is any kind of danger.
In order to have this emotional self-control and not get carried away by any impulse , we must learn to interpret our own emotions. Controlling our emotions will help us to have a calmer, calmer attitude when faced with complicated situations, in addition to helping us to be much more cautious.
Everything will depend on how you interpret your symptoms, because we will not be able to deal with something that we do not know. According to studies, he tells us, that the ability to pause and think before acting has become a constant learning of life.
What are feelings?
Now, feelings are the sum of an emotion or emotions linked to thoughts. Feelings, as we have already mentioned, are the result of emotions , basically an emotion becomes a feeling, when we become aware of it.
In addition to the physiological reaction, the feeling is the cognitive and subjective reaction to an emotional experience. This means that a feeling is given, when we identify an emotion and we have judgment towards it.
Emotions according to psychology
In psychology, an emotion is defined, as the perception of the elements and the reaction we have to reality or what we imagine . When we go through an emotional process, there are several ways to show it physically, we can suffer changes in our breathing, have sweating or we feel that our heart pulse changes.
On the other hand, it is said that emotions are neurochemical and cognitive processes, which are set in the mind, which includes decision-making , attention, memory, imagination and perception. These are adapted in response to survival needs.
Concept of emotions and feelings
We could conceptualize the term emotion, as the physical and verbal reaction to some event we are going through . Everything will depend on the type of event, some help us face a risky situation, others can help us get out of a shameful situation.
Now, the conceptualization of feeling, is understood, as the state of mind that we can have, after some event, be it positive or negative. Of course, all feelings go after the emotion that we will have at the time of the situation or news.
Similarities between emotions and feelings
The most notable similarities that we have between these two concepts, is that both act directly on our way of acting and our state of mind. Of course, one goes first than the other, but both work hand in hand to allow us to act and react in a certain way depending on the experience we are living or going through.